Empire Cruise Lines Senior Deck Hand
The Senior Deckhand is expected to become familiar with all aspects of vessel operation and safety including but not limited to:
- boat handling
- proper radio procedure
- safety equipment
- river state and movement
- secure and safe loading and unloading
- bilge pumps
- navigational charts
The Senior Deckhand:
- should be able to work with, entertain, instruct and converse with people from diverse backgrounds.
- should have positive attitude and friendly disposition is a desirable attribute.
- must be willing/able to participate in all drills
- must be able to give safety presentation to clients, and keep a sharp eye for safety hazards.
- must become knowledgeable about history of the Hudson River and Dutchess County.
Summary of essential job functions
The Senior Deckhand is responsible for direct supervision of the Deck Hands and their duties and functions. The Senior Deckhand must ensure and assists as required or as directed by the ships Master to ensure the proper cleaning and routine maintenance of the passenger areas is accomplished. Ensure that passengers are provided with all amenities available aboard the vessel and that passengers are acting in a safe manner aboard the vessel including enforcing loading stipulations as directed on the COI or as directed by the Captain.
The Senior Deckhand is to report to the vessel a minimum of 90 minutes prior to departure or earlier if requested by the ships captain, Master or owners. The Senior Deckhand will remain on board the vessel during the voyage and interface with passengers ensuring that passenger comforts are taken care of in an exemplary fashion.
- Pre employment and periodic drug screening is required.
- U.S. Citizen
- 18 years of age
- Hospitality experience is strongly preferred
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification preferred
- Marine/boating experience is a plus
- OUPV is highly desirable
- Physically able to assist passengers as directed by the Ships Captain with the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work afloat without getting sea sick.
- Vessel Senior Deckhand is an hourly wage position per agreement with Empire Cruise Lines.
- All tips are pooled and split among all full share crew members and Captain.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities, however any related responsibilities or duties prescribed by the Captain shall be deemed to fall within the scope of the job whether or not they are specifically addressed here.
To download this job description in PDF Format click here.
To apply for this position please send your resumé and cover letter in electronic format via email
to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or send your information
via U.S. postal mail to:
Become a fan on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for special deals.